Champs Elysees attack: What we know




  • In World
  • 2017-04-21 08:54:10Z
  • By AFP
The gunman opened fire on a police van just a few hundred metres from the iconic Arc de Triomphe
The gunman opened fire on a police van just a few hundred metres from the iconic Arc de Triomphe

Paris (AFP) - A gunman shot and killed a policeman and wounded two others on the world-famous Champs Elysees avenue in Paris on Thursday night, in an attack claimed by the Islamic State group.

Here is what we currently know about the shooting, which took place just days before the first round of the French election.

- The attack -

At approximately 9:00pm (1900 GMT), the gunman pulled out an automatic weapon and opened fire on a police van just a few hundred metres from the iconic Arc de Triomphe on one of the world's most famous boulevards.

One officer was killed and the gunman fled on foot. During the ensuing gun battle -- witnesses spoke of a short but intense exchange of fire -- the suspected attacker was killed and two other officers wounded.

The Champs Elysees, busy with tourists and locals on a pleasant spring evening, became a scene of panic. Diners in some restaurants took refuge in basements while pandemonium broke out in the nearest metro station, according to witnesses.

Police sealed off the area immediately with dozens of emergency vehicles and helicopters buzzed overhead.

- Was it terrorism? -

Anti-terror prosecutors immediately took up the investigation and President Francois Hollande said it was "of a terrorist nature."

Police said the shooter was a known terror suspect who had been convicted in 2005 of three counts of attempted murder -- two of them against police officers.

The Islamic State jihadist group claimed that one of their "fighters" carried out the attack but said it was "Abu Yussef the Belgian", whereas French authorities believe the perpetrator was a 39-year-old Frenchman living in the Paris suburbs.

This raised concerns that a possible second attacker could be on the loose.

On Friday, France said they were hunting for a new suspect based on a Belgian alert received a day earlier, but it later emerged the man had handed himself into a police station in the Belgian city of Antwerp.

In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, US President Donald Trump was in no doubt, saying: "It looks like another terrorist attack. What can you say? It just never ends."

- What impact on the election? -

France, which has suffered from a wave of bloodshed over the past two years killing more than 230 people, has long feared an attack on the presidential election, the first round of which takes place on Sunday.

Authorities foiled an attack in the southern city of Marseille just a day before a campaign appearance by far-right leader Marine Le Pen.

Polls suggest that voters have been influenced more by France's sluggish economy and sky-high unemployment than terror fears but analysts have always stressed that this would change in the event of bloodshed.

Le Pen is seen as the "hardest" on the terror threat and has switched her campaign rhetoric back to core issues of immigration and the fight against terrorism in recent days.

Some analysts have speculated that the attack could benefit conservative Francois Fillon, a former prime minister seen as an experienced hand at a time of crisis -- despite an expenses scandal that rocked his campaign.

The inexperienced front-running centrist Emmanuel Macron and late-surger from the far left Jean-Luc Melenchon are not seen as particular experts on security and foreign policy.

Macron is currently leading the polls but any of these four candidates could feature in the second-round run-off on May 7, surveys suggest.

burs-ric/gj/hmw

COMMENTS

More Related News

100 gas tanks: Extremists in Spain planned massive attack
100 gas tanks: Extremists in Spain planned massive attack

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) - Police put up scores of roadblocks across northeast Spain on Sunday in hopes of capturing a fugitive suspect from the 12-member Islamic extremist cell that staged two vehicle attacks and plotted much deadlier carnage using explosives favored by Islamic State militants.

Joint Taliban, Islamic State raid killed disarmed Afghan fighters, civilians: U.N.
Joint Taliban, Islamic State raid killed disarmed Afghan fighters, civilians: U.N.
  • World
  • 2017-08-20 11:25:12Z

By Josh Smith KABUL (Reuters) - A combined force of Taliban and "self-proclaimed" Islamic State militants killed at least 36 people in what may amount to war crimes during a raid on a northern Afghan town this month, the United Nations said on Sunday. The dead in the town of Mirza Olang included

Iraq begins battle to retake Tal Afar, IS bastion near Mosul: PM
Iraq begins battle to retake Tal Afar, IS bastion near Mosul: PM

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced early Sunday the start of a battle to retake Tal Afar, a key Northern Iraqi bastion of the Islamic State (IS) group and one of their last remaining strongholds in the region. The announcement comes a month after the capture by Iraqi forces of second city Mosul further east in a major blow to the jihadists. In a televised speech, Abadi, dressed in military uniform and standing in front of an Iraqi flag and map of the country, announced "the start of an operation to free Tal Afar".

Muslims fear anti-Islam backlash in tolerant Barcelona
Muslims fear anti-Islam backlash in tolerant Barcelona

Prayer time is approaching but Raja Miah, an imam at a tiny mosque in the heart of Barcelona does not expect a big turnout. Since the twin attacks in Barcelona and the nearby seaside resort of Cambrils claimed by the Islamic State group, the Muslim community in central Barcelona's neighbourhood of Raval fears an anti-Islam backlash. "People are very scared," said Miah, 23, as he sat in a small room at the mosque in Raval as a small group of children in an adjoining room studied the Koran.

Lebanese army, Hezbollah announce offensives against Islamic State on Syrian border
Lebanese army, Hezbollah announce offensives against Islamic State on Syrian border
  • World
  • 2017-08-19 11:40:18Z

By Tom Perry and Angus McDowall BEIRUT (Reuters) - The Lebanese army launched an offensive on Saturday against an Islamic State enclave on the northeastern border with Syria, as the Lebanese Shi'ite group Hezbollah announced an assault on the militants from the Syrian side of the frontier. The Lebanese army operation got underway at 5 a.m. (0200 GMT), targeting Islamic State positions near the town of Ras Baalbek with rockets, artillery and helicopters, a Lebanese security source said. The operation by Hezbollah and the Syrian army targeted the area across the border in the western Qalamoun region of Syria.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.