Egypt punishes train disaster 'selfie medics'




Emergency personnel and Egyptian military police search the wreckage of the train collision on August 11, 2017 near Khorshid station in Alexandria
Emergency personnel and Egyptian military police search the wreckage of the train collision on August 11, 2017 near Khorshid station in Alexandria  

Cairo (AFP) - Egypt's health ministry has punished six medics who took selfies in front of a deadly train wreck by transferring them to a remote part of the country, it said Saturday, following an online uproar.

Two trains collided Friday near the Mediterranean city of Alexandria, killing 41 people in one of the deadliest such accidents in the North African country.

Pictures of an ambulance crew taking selfie pictures in front the wreckage sparked anger on social media, with one Twitter user posting a photograph with a hashtag reading: "conscience in a coma."

Dubbed the "Selfie Medics" by Twitter users, they faced calls for punishment on social media.

The health ministry's director of emergency services Ahmed al-Ansari told AFP six members of the ambulance crew have been transferred to the western Siwa oasis as punishment.

It was "inappropriate conduct," he said.

Egypt's ambulance services had been hailed in the country in the past for their often dangerous jobs tending to demonstrators during the Arab Spring protests of 2011 and their violent aftermath.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump on Twitter (Oct 17) - Tom Marino, Greek Prime Minister, fake news
Trump on Twitter (Oct 17) - Tom Marino, Greek Prime Minister, fake news

The following statements were posted to the verified Twitter accounts of U.S. President Donald Trump, @realDonaldTrump and @POTUS. The opinions expressed are his own. Reuters has not edited the statements or confirmed their accuracy. @realDonaldTrump : - Rep.Tom Marino has informed me that he is withdrawing his name from consideration as drug czar. Tom is a fine man and a great Congressman! [0839 EDT] - "Dow Passes 23,000 for the First Time, Fueled by Strong Earnings" #Dow23Khttp://45.wh. ...

The #MeToo hashtag was used in an enormous number of tweets
The #MeToo hashtag was used in an enormous number of tweets

Following a week of more devastating and disturbing news about film producer Harvey Weinstein, Hollywood actor Alyssa Milano took to social media to ask women to share their own personal experiences of sexual harassment and sexual assault. In a message posted Sunday, she asked Twitter users to reply "me too" to her tweet if they had been sexually harassed or assaulted in order to "give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem." They responded in droves and the resulting hashtag #MeToo swept round the internet as a huge viral moment. SEE ALSO: Women endure a lifetime of sexual harassment even before they enter the workplace Milano's tweet was retweeted more...

Alyssa Milano's #MeToo Campaign Prompts Thousands to Share Sexual Harassment and Assault Stories
Alyssa Milano's #MeToo Campaign Prompts Thousands to Share Sexual Harassment and Assault Stories

The initiative has brought responses from such famous faces as Lady Gaga, Debra Messing and Rosario Dawson.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.