EU border agency expects same number of migrants via Libya this year as last




  • In World/Europe
  • 2017-02-15 12:53:52Z
  • By By Gabriela Baczynska
World Press Photo Awards 2017 - Spot News - Third Prize, Stories - Mathieu Willcocks - Mediterranean Migration
World Press Photo Awards 2017 - Spot News - Third Prize, Stories - Mathieu Willcocks - Mediterranean Migration

By Gabriela Baczynska

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union should expect as many migrants crossing from Libya this year as last, when a record number disembarked in Italy, the head of the bloc's border agency said on Wednesday.

Some 1.6 million refugees and migrants reached the bloc by crossing the Mediterranean in 2014-2016 and the main route now leads from the shores of the lawless Libya to Italy.

"There was an increase by 17 percent last year so we had approximately 181,000 irregular border crossings coming from Libya... We have to be ready to face the same number," Fabrice Leggeri, the head of the EU's border agency Frontex told reporters.

"In 2016, 2015 and 2014, we had more than 150,000 thousand irregular migrants coming from Libya, he said, using the term favoured by the EU to mean those entering illegally.

The bloc, overwhelmed by the arrivals and waging bitter internal battles on how to share the burden, has increased its efforts to cut the number of people who use smugglers' boats to make the perilous voyage.

This includes support for the U.N.-backed Libyan government in Tripoli, efforts to boost deportations of people with no case for asylum, and working with African states along the migration trails to ensure they let fewer people pass.

But these would only bear fruit in the medium- to long-term, Leggeri said, adding that for now the EU had to ensure Italy has enough support and capacity to handle high arrivals.

"I hope 2017 will see the start of a shift, a positive impact of alternative measures... But these are measures that need time," he said.

The EU says some 70 percent of people coming via Libya from the impoverished Africa are not fleeing violent conflicts or oppressive regimes and hence are unlikely to win asylum. They are qualified as economic migrants and the EU wants to deport them.

Frontex said the whole bloc deported some 176,000 people last year, roughly in line with 2015. But a majority of these returns are actually of nationals from the non-EU states in the Western Balkans.

The more complicated deportations to the Middle East are often held up by asylum procedures, which must ensure the right to appeal.

That is the case for Syrians and other potential refugees who arrived in masses to Greece from Turkey in 2015, an influx that has now largely stopped after Brussels sealed a deal with Turkey under which Ankara prevents them from leaving its shores.

While confirmed refugees should not be sent back, for the African migrants the obstacles delaying larger-scale deportations include problems with identification and obtaining travel documents, as well as the reluctance of some African governments to take back their people.

The EU has been increasingly working on that with Nigeria, Senegal, Mali, Niger and Ethiopia.

(Editing by Jeremy Gaunt)

COMMENTS

More Related News

'A Serbian Trap': Freezing conditions in Belgrade are not the biggest problem for refugees in Belgrade

A trip along the refugee track within Serbia reveals that the old route through the Balkans is still being used despite strong border control, harsh conditions and frozen temperatures. Despite the existence of camps built by the Serbian state, the migrants are here trying to make their way into European Union countries illegally.

Bodies of 74 migrants heading to Europe wash up in Libya
Bodies of 74 migrants heading to Europe wash up in Libya
  • World
  • 2017-02-21 13:56:15Z

CAIRO (AP) - At least 74 bodies of African migrants have washed ashore in western Libya, the Libyan Red Crescent said Tuesday, the latest tragedy at sea along a perilous trafficking route to Europe.

Exclusive: White House delivered EU-skeptic message before Pence visit - sources
Exclusive: White House delivered EU-skeptic message before Pence visit - sources
  • World
  • 2017-02-21 12:31:01Z

By Noah Barkin BERLIN (Reuters) - In the week before U.S. Vice President Mike Pence visited Brussels and pledged America's "steadfast and enduring" commitment to the European Union, White House chief strategist Steve Bannon met with a German diplomat and delivered a different message,

Pence reassures Europe, demands NATO pay up
Pence reassures Europe, demands NATO pay up

US Vice President Mike Pence told nervous Europeans Monday that Donald Trump will remain committed to transatlantic ties, but warned NATO allies they must boost their defence spending in return. Capping a European trip aimed at allaying fears about the new administration's support, Pence said Washington's backing for the EU remained "steadfast and enduring". "Today it is my privilege on behalf of President Trump to express the strong commitment of the United States to continued cooperation and partnership with the European Union," Pence said after talks with EU president Donald Tusk in Brussels.

EU welcomes Pence assurance of Trump
EU welcomes Pence assurance of Trump's support

By Roberta Rampton and Alastair Macdonald BRUSSELS (Reuters) - U.S. Vice President Mike Pence assured the European Union in Brussels on Monday that the Trump administration will develop their cooperation in trade and security and backs the EU as a partner in its own right. A month after Donald Trump caused alarm by renewing his endorsement of Brexit and suggesting others may follow Britain out of the EU, Pence told reporters that he had come to "the home of the European Union" with a message from the president.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Europe

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.