Family: Autopsy shows Indianapolis police shot man 4 times




INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The family of a black man who was killed by Indianapolis police says an autopsy shows he was shot in the back four times.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police officers fatally shot 45-year-old Aaron Bailey on June 29, the Indianapolis Star reported .

Authorities said Bailey and his passenger, 26-year-old Shiwanda Ward, had been pulled over for a traffic stop when Bailey suddenly drove off. A short pursuit ended when Bailey crashed into a fence. Officers then approached the vehicle and fired.

Bailey was later pronounced dead at a local hospital. Ward wasn't injured.

The family said nearly a dozen bullets hit the car. Dominic Dorsey, president of social justice advocacy organization DONT SLEEP, said photos of the vehicle show the back windows were shattered and that there are bullet holes in the car's trunk.

The police department declined to comment on the details of the shooting because the investigation is ongoing.

"Aaron Bailey's death continues to be a tragic incident for our community and our department," the department said in a statement. "IMPD is committed to being as transparent as the law allows, and upon completion of the ongoing criminal investigation by the Marion County prosecutor's office, we are prepared to move expeditiously with our own internal review."

The shooting is being investigated by the police department, the Marion County prosecutor's office and the FBI. Officers Michal Dinnsen and Carlton Howard are on administrative leave pending the investigation.

The prosecutor's office said they received the coroner's report of Bailey's death this week and are continuing to pursue the investigation.

A warrant had recently been issued for Bailey's arrest because he violated the terms of his release for a pending theft case.

Bailey's death is this year's first fatal police shooting in the city. There were three fatal police shootings in 2016, eight in 2015 and four in 2014, according to the police department.

___

Information from: The Indianapolis Star, http://www.indystar.com

COMMENTS

More Related News

US Navy cruiser USS Indianapolis found 18,000 feet deep in Pacific Ocean
US Navy cruiser USS Indianapolis found 18,000 feet deep in Pacific Ocean

Researchers have found the wreckage of the US warship Indianapolis, which was sunk by a Japanese torpedo in the final days of World War Two, more than 18,000 feet (5.5 kilometres) below the surface of the Pacific Ocean, the Navy said on Saturday. USS Indianapolis Credit: The Telegraph/AP The cruiser was returning from its mission to deliver components for the atomic bomb that would soon be dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima when it was fired upon in the North Pacific Ocean by a Japanese submarine on July 30, 1945. It sunk in 12 minutes, according to the Naval History and Heritage Command in Washington. No distress signal was sent. About 800 of the 1,196 crew members aboard survived...

U.S. warship Indianapolis found 18,000 feet deep in Pacific Ocean
U.S. warship Indianapolis found 18,000 feet deep in Pacific Ocean
  • US
  • 2017-08-20 01:12:22Z

(Reuters) - Researchers have found the wreckage of the U.S. warship Indianapolis, which was sunk by a Japanese torpedo in the final days of World War Two, more than 18,000 feet (5.5 kilometers) below the surface of the Pacific Ocean, the Navy said on Saturday. The cruiser was returning from its mission to deliver components for the atomic bomb that would soon be dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima when it was fired upon in the North Pacific Ocean by a Japanese submarine on July 30, 1945. After a Navy historian unearthed new information in 2016 about the warship's last movements that pointed to a new search area, a team of civilian researchers led by Paul Allen, a Microsoft Corp...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.