Family Says Video Proves Cops Could Have Saved 15-Year-Old They Shot Dead




A Connecticut teenager was fatally shot at the culmination of a police pursuit last week by officers who could have prevented his death, according to the boy's family.

Jayson Negron, 15, was shot by Bridgeport police officers after they claim the teen struck an officer while behind the wheel of a stolen vehicle May 9.

But Jayson's family, including a man who identifies himself on social media as the teen's cousin, says police could have easily stopped the tragedy.

That man, 24-year-old Giovanni Rivera, posted a video to Twitter and Instagram Friday that he says shows Jayson handcuffed and squirming on the concrete in the aftermath of the shooting.

"I'm in so much pain right now," Rivera wrote. "They left my baby cousin on the ground to die." 

Authorities say Bridgeport police officer James Boulay, 30, opened fire on Jayson after he was struck by the vehicle. Police later told Jayson's family the teen died at the scene from a shot to the head.

In the video, however, Jayson's head appears to move from cheek down to face down on the pavement while he was briefly out of view of the camera.

That, Rivera says, disproves Bridgeport PD's claim that Jayson died within moments from the bullet to the head.

"If that crucial part of the story is a lie, everything else is up for question," he told the Hartford Courant.

"It's very painful to watch, but it's very important we put it out there because we were lied to by the police," about how Jayson died, Rivera said.

The passenger in the vehicle, Julian Fyffe, 22, was taken to the hospital with a gunshot wound to the shoulder and is expected to make a full recovery.

Jayson was pronounced dead at the scene. No weapons were found.

Bridgeport police Chief Armando Perez said Jayson's body remained in the street for about six hours to allow officials to gather evidence.

Shields were reportedly not set up around Negron's body, nor was the body initially covered, facts which Bridgeport Mayor Joseph Ganim and the Connecticut ACLU called "unacceptable."

"The callous disregard that Bridgeport police officers showed for Jayson Negron during his last moments of life is unacceptable," CACLU executive director David McGuire said. "Their behavior was outside the realms of human decency and democracy."

The Bridgeport Police Department referred a request for comment to the mayor's office, where a call was not immediately returned Tuesday. 

Officer James Boulay has reportedly been placed on administrative leave during a state police investigation into Jayson's death.

Meanwhile, a GoFundMe page has been created in Jayson's name to help his shattered family financially as they attempt to pick up the pieces. 

"There are many factors as to why Jayson went home so early, but needless to say, it was an unexpected tragedy that leaves not only a void in the family's heart,  but the final costs for placing him in his final resting place are beyond what his family can afford," the page reads, in part. 

COMMENTS

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.