Fox to investigate sexual harassment claim against O'Reilly




  • In US
  • 2017-04-10 00:43:48Z
  • By By John McCrank

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Fox News parent Twenty-First Century Fox Inc said on Sunday it will investigate a sexual harassment claim against TV anchor Bill O'Reilly, who has seen several companies pull their ads from his top-rated news show in the past week.

The investigation comes after a complaint was phoned in to the network's corporate hotline last week by Wendy Walsh, a former regular guest on Fox's "The O'Reilly Factor" TV show, and her lawyer, Lisa Bloom, which the two posted to YouTube.

"21st Century Fox investigates all complaints and we have asked the law firm Paul Weiss to continue assisting the company in these serious matters," the company said in a statement.  

Walsh, a psychologist and radio host, said O'Reilly reneged on an offer to secure her a lucrative job on the network after she declined his invitation to join him in his hotel suite after a dinner in early 2013.

"I'm told that they are taking it seriously, and they are going to do the investigation that's legally required of them," Bloom told CNN on Sunday.

Fox and O'Reilly have paid $13 million to five women who accused him of sexual harassment, the New York Times reported last weekend. O'Reilly said in a statement then that he had been unfairly targeted because of his prominence and has not made further comment.

Numerous companies have pulled ads from O'Reilly's Fox News show since the report, including BMW of North America, Allstate Corp, French pharmaceuticals maker Sanofi SA, direct marketer Constant Contact, men's clothing company Untuckit and mutual fund operator T. Rowe Price. British drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline Plc said it temporarily suspended its advertising.

Fox News, the top-rated cable news network, has faced heightened scrutiny of its workplace climate after sexual harassment allegations led to the resignation of founding Chairman Roger Ailes last year.

21st Century Fox hired law firm Paul Weiss to investigate Ailes.

On April 3, Democratic political consultant and Fox News contributor Julie Roginsky sued the network and Ailes, accusing them of denying her a permanent hosting job after she rebuffed Ailes' sexual advances.

Roginsky said that a misogynistic culture at Fox News had not changed since Ailes left the network.

(Additional reporting by Lisa Richwine in Los Angeles; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

COMMENTS

More Related News

GOP candidate charged with misdemeanor assault of reporter
GOP candidate charged with misdemeanor assault of reporter

BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP) - The Republican candidate for Montana's sole congressional seat was charged with misdemeanor assault Wednesday night after witnesses told police Greg Gianforte grabbed a reporter by the neck and slammed him to the ground the night before polls close in the nationally-watched election.

California judge issues arrest warrant for yoga guru Bikram Choudhury
California judge issues arrest warrant for yoga guru Bikram Choudhury

A California judge issued an arrest warrant for the yoga guru Bikram Choudhury after he failed to pay nearly $6.5 million to a former legal adviser in a sexual harassment case. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Edward Moreton also set bail at $8 million for the founder of the Bikram yoga empire, which

Sean Hannity Won
Sean Hannity Won't Discuss Seth Rich Murder Conspiracy Theory For Now

The Fox News host is among several other conservative journalists who support the conspiracy theory that Rich leaked thousands of emails to WikiLeaks last July and got killed in return.

Fox drops Seth Rich murder story as Sean Hannity attacks 'liberal fascism'
Fox drops Seth Rich murder story as Sean Hannity attacks 'liberal fascism'

In the wake of the Fox News report, law enforcement officials disputed that Rich's laptop had even been in possession of, or examined by, federal authorities. Fox News has retracted a story on the 2016 murder of Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich, which was roundly condemned for perpetuating conspiracy theories, while host Sean Hannity said he would cease further discussion of the subject on his show in the network's evening lineup.

Mischa Barton Glows on the Cannes Red Carpet After Months of Personal Turmoil
Mischa Barton Glows on the Cannes Red Carpet After Months of Personal Turmoil

Mischa Barton Hits 2017 Cannes Film Festival Red Carpet

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.