Germany says U.S. demand for more NATO burden-sharing is 'fair'




By Sabine Siebold

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. call for NATO partners to step up funding for the transatlantic alliance is "a fair demand," German Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen said on Friday after what she called a positive first meeting with Defense Secretary James Mattis.

Germany and other European powers were unnerved when President Donald Trump during the election campaign accused NATO allies of failing to pay their way, and described the alliance shortly before he took office last month as "obsolete."

Trump offered some reassurance this week when he told U.S. forces: "We strongly support NATO."

Von der Leyen said Germany, which spends less than the NATO target of 2 percent of economic output on defence, understood it needed to increase that amount.

"I think it's a fair demand," von der Leyen said. "If we want to jointly master the crises in the world, namely the fight against terrorism, and also put the alliance on solid footing, then everyone has to pay their share."

She told reporters she welcomed an offer from Mattis to deepen the strategic dialogue between the two countries. He had also reiterated his clear and deep commitment to NATO.

Admiring comments from Trump about Russian President Vladimir Putin have raised concerns among some European countries that the United States might relax sanctions imposed against Moscow over its 2014 annexation of Crimea and its support for violent separatists in eastern Ukraine.

Von der Leyen said it was critical that NATO members remained unified. "It is ... very important that we speak with one voice."

She said she and Mattis agreed that many global problems, including the war in Syria, could not be solved without Russia, but Moscow needed to respect international law and the borders of other sovereign countries.

They had agreed it was important to "continue to act from a position of strength to extend an outstretched hand to Russia and work out our mutual problems at the negotiating table and then solve them."

The Pentagon said in a statement that Mattis thanked von der Leyen for Germany's leadership in NATO and acknowledged the role it plays in fighting terrorism, specifically in the coalition fighting Islamic State.

Both look forward to working together at the NATO Defense Ministerial and Munich Security Conference next week, the statement said.

Von der Leyen's meeting with Mattis lasted for about an hour, twice as long as planned. She was the first European defence minister to visit him at the Pentagon.

(Reporting by Sabine Siebold and Reuters TV; Additional reporting by Idrees Ali; Writing by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Erik Kirschbaum, Mark Trevelyan and Leslie Adler)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Pipeline fights move from Dakota prairie to Louisiana bayous
Pipeline fights move from Dakota prairie to Louisiana bayous
  • US
  • 2017-02-22 06:04:38Z

When Hope Rosinski's father gave her a six-acre plot in Louisiana more than a decade ago, she was surprised to find oil and gas pipelines crisscrossing the property. Pipeline companies later secured her permission for two more lines, one of which has since caused flooding and consistently leaves her land saturated. Rosinski is fighting the latest request for a right-of-way, this time from Energy Transfer Partners - the company behind the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline.

Immigration advocates denounce DHS plan to implement Trump executive orders
Immigration advocates denounce DHS plan to implement Trump executive orders

Immigration policy experts lashed out Tuesday at the Department of Homeland Security's plan to implement President Trump's executive orders on immigration. "In my many years of practicing immigration law, I have not seen a mass deportation blueprint like this one," Marielena Hincapié, executive director of the National Immigration Law Center, a Los Angeles-based nonprofit that advocates for the rights of low-income immigrant families, said in a conference call with reporters. In two memos issued Tuesday, DHS Secretary John Kelly laid out sweeping new guidance for officers tasked with carrying out the president's immigration policies.

Trump to spare U.S.
Trump to spare U.S. 'dreamer' immigrants from crackdown
  • US
  • 2017-02-22 02:26:15Z

President Donald Trump's administration plans to consider almost all illegal immigrants subject to deportation, but will leave protections in place for immigrants known as "dreamers" who entered the United States illegally as children, according to official guidelines released on Tuesday. The Department of Homeland Security guidance to immigration agents is part of a broader border security and immigration enforcement plan in executive orders that Republican Trump signed on Jan. 25. Former President Barack Obama, a Democrat, issued an executive order in 2012 that protected 750,000 immigrants who had been brought into the United States illegally by their parents.

Denver defends release of illegal immigrant later charged in murder
Denver defends release of illegal immigrant later charged in murder
  • US
  • 2017-02-22 02:03:58Z

The Denver Sheriff's Department on Tuesday defended its release of an illegal immigrant after he posted bond on theft charges only to be arrested for murder weeks later, saying it had no authority to hold him. Ever Valles, 19, a Mexican national, was released from the Denver jail in late December. The case has drawn parallels to the 2015 murder of a 32-year-old woman, Kathryn Steinle, who was fatally shot at a San Francisco tourist site by a five-time deported Mexican immigrant.

Elevator scion who defaced Trump
Elevator scion who defaced Trump's Hollywood star gets probation
  • US
  • 2017-02-22 01:36:29Z

The elevator company scion who defaced Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame during the presidential campaign last autumn pleaded no contest on Tuesday to felony vandalism and received three years' probation. James Lambert Otis, 53, has admitted using a sledgehammer and pickax to smash the pink terrazzo star and remove the brass medallion from the center of the sidewalk plaque in an act of protest caught on video in the predawn darkness in October. Otis, a member of the family behind the Connecticut-based Otis Elevator Company, a leading manufacturer of elevators, escalators and moving walkways, was taken into custody the next day.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Europe

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.