GM faces hard road getting compensated for Venezuela factory




  • In World
  • 2017-04-20 21:00:50Z
  • By TOM KRISHER and JOSHUA GOODMAN

DETROIT (AP) - General Motors became the latest corporation to have a factory or other asset seized by the government of Venezuela, and the Detroit automaker faces an uphill battle to recover any damages.

GM said Thursday that its only factory in Venezuela was confiscated a day earlier, as anti-government protesters clashed with authorities in a country that is roiled by economic troubles. GM said assets such as vehicles were taken from the plant, causing the company irreparable damage.

The seizure is the latest in a long string of government confiscations of factories and other assets that have been a staple of the so-called 21st century socialist revolution in Venezuela started by the late Hugo Chavez two decades ago. Venezuela is currently fighting claims of illegal asset seizures at a World Bank-sponsored arbitration panel from more than 25 companies.

GM vowed to defend itself legally but getting compensated could be difficult. Under Chavez, Venezuela seized some Exxon Mobil assets. The oil giant sought compensation of $16.6 billion. The company won a $1.4 billion judgment, but earlier this year the arbitration panel determined that Venezuela had to pay only $180 million.

GM can seek compensation and damages for its lost plant in several different international venues, said Nigel Blackaby, a lawyer at the Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer law firm, which has battled Venezuela in several high-profile cases in international courts. The venue depends on what treaties, if any, govern the investment, he said. While Exxon's case was heard by the World Bank panel, Freshfields has successfully pursued claims against Venezuela's government before a United Nations panel.

The Venezuelan government had no comment about the GM factory.

Auto production in Venezuela has nearly ground to a halt amid the country's economic collapse. The cash-strapped government has choked off car companies' access to dollars needed to import parts and repatriate profits. GM's factory in the industrial city of Valencia did not produce a single vehicle last year. Nationwide, car makers assembled just 2,849 cars in 2016, from a peak of 172,218 in 2007. Still, many car makers have stayed put in case the economy experiences a turnaround.

GM has about 2,700 workers in Venezuela, where it's been the market leader for over 35 years. It also has 79 dealers that employ 3,900 people.

The factory seizure arose from an almost 20-year-old lawsuit brought by a former GM dealership in western Venezuela. The dealership had been seeking damages from GM of 476 million bolivars - about $665 million at the official exchange rate, but just $115 million on the black market where many Venezuelans are forced to turn to sell their increasingly worthless currency. GM said it was notified this week that a low-level court ordered an embargo of its plant, bank accounts and other assets in the country.

Hundreds of workers desperate for information about their jobs gathered at the plant on Thursday to meet with government and military officials, as well as representatives of the dealership that brought the lawsuit.

In Washington, the State Department said in a statement that it was reviewing details of the factory seizure and called on Venezuelan authorities to resolve the case "rapidly and transparently." The statement said a fair judicial system is critical to economic reforms that would restore growth, but it made no mention of any action the U.S. government might take.

In July of last year, the Venezuelan government took control of a factory belonging to Kimberly-Clark Corp. after the U.S. personal care giant said it was no longer possible to manufacture in the crisis-wracked nation due to a lack of materials. President Nicolas Maduro accused Kimberly-Clark of participating in an international plot to damage Venezuela's economy.

In recent years, Bridgestone, General Mills, Procter & Gamble, Ford Motor Co. and other multinational corporations have also scaled back operations in Venezuela. Ford suspended operations at its Valencia plant in December due to slumping sales. Toyota said its lone factory in Cumana, Venezuela, continues to operate normally.

GM's Venezuelan operations have been a drag on earnings for several years. In the second quarter of 2015, the company took a $720 million charge for currency devaluation and asset valuation write-downs as the economy faltered.

South American operations, which include Venezuela, account for about 6 percent GM's total sales. Last year, GM lost $400 million before taxes in South America, but overall it made a pretax profit of $12.5 billion.

Shares of General Motors Co. rose 31 cents to $34.10.

___

Goodman reported from Caracas. Dee-Ann Durbin in Detroit and Christopher Rugaber in Washington contributed to this report. More Associated Press reporting on Venezuela's problems can be found at https://www.ap.org/explore/venezuela-undone

COMMENTS

More Related News

Death toll in Venezuela
Death toll in Venezuela's political unrest rises to at least 24
  • World
  • 2017-04-25 14:36:58Z

A 23-year-old man was shot dead on Tuesday at a political demonstration in Venezuela's western state of Lara, authorities said, bringing to at least 24 the number of deaths in unrest this month. Orlando Medina died immediately from a gunshot to the head on a street in El Tocuyo town in the early

Venezuela death toll rises as unrest enters fourth week
Venezuela death toll rises as unrest enters fourth week
  • World
  • 2017-04-25 03:11:36Z

By Diego Oré and Brian Ellsworth CARACAS (Reuters) - Gunmen killed two more people during political unrest in Venezuela on Monday, bringing the total number of deaths to 12 this month, as anti-government protests entered a fourth week with mass "sit-ins" to press for early elections. A 42

Three die in Venezuela protests
Three die in Venezuela protests
  • World
  • 2017-04-25 00:02:57Z

Three more people were killed in Venezuela on Monday in renewed violence, raising the death toll in three weeks of massive demonstrations against leftwing President Nicolas Maduro to 24, officials said. Several others were seriously injured and "between life and death," said public defender Tarek William Saab. The latest casualties come on a day anti-Maduro demonstrators blocked major roads in the South American nation.

Venezuelan opposition seeks new strategy as unrest enters fourth week
Venezuelan opposition seeks new strategy as unrest enters fourth week
  • World
  • 2017-04-24 14:51:56Z

By Brian Ellsworth and Carlos Garcia Rawlins CARACAS (Reuters) - Barricading roads with trash and even bathtubs, small groups of protesters held "sit-ins" around Venezuela on Monday in an effort to maintain momentum as anti-government unrest entered a fourth week. Ten people have been killed

Maduro says yes to Venezuela elections, but not for president
Maduro says yes to Venezuela elections, but not for president

Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro called Sunday for local elections in Venezuela -- but not at the presidential level, which millions in his strife-torn nation are demanding. Maduro in his weekly television address endorsed voting planned for later this year at the mayoral and gubernatorial level. "That is what I say as the head of state, and as the head of government," Maduro declared during his broadcast, which aired after three weeks of street protests that have claimed the lives of 20 Venezuelans.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.