Marchers across Mexico vent anger over Trump, and their own president




  • In World/Europe
  • 2017-02-12 21:35:36Z
  • By By David Alire Garcia
A woman carries an effigy of U.
A woman carries an effigy of U.

By David Alire Garcia

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Thousands of protesters in more than a dozen Mexican cities took to the streets on Sunday to express their fierce opposition to U.S. President Donald Trump, portraying the new leader as a menace to both America and Mexico.

Waving Mexicans flags and hoisting anti-Trump signs in both Spanish and English, some vulgar, many protesters also heaped scorn on their own president, deriding Enrique Pena Nieto as a weak leader who has presided over rampant corruption and violence at home.

Trump and Pena Nieto have been locked in battle over their countries' deep ties for months, even before Trump won the presidency with promises to get tougher on immigration and trade from Mexico.

Mexico fears Trump's policies could send Latin America's second biggest economy into crisis.

In a rare display of national unity, marchers and organizers came from across the country's deeply polarized political factions, encouraged in part by a pro-march ad campaign by Televisa, the country's dominant broadcaster.

In the Mexican capital, two separate marches were set to converge on the iconic Angel of Independence monument on the city's leafy Paseo de la Reforma avenue.

"He's such a bad man and he shouldn't act the way he does," said 62-year-old marcher Jorge Ruiz about Trump, who expressed particular anger at how the former reality TV star has insulted migrants.

One marcher carried a larger-than-life painted Trump mannequin, portraying him as an outlandish cartoon character, while others carried piñatas resembling the U.S. leader wearing floppy Mexican hats bearing pro-Mexico slogans.

"Mexicans demand respect, we want bridges not walls," read one banner carried by nearby marchers. "Trump you diminish America," read another.

Maria Paro Cassar, an organizer, said Trump has made Mexico and Mexicans in the United States "his favourite target."

"His policies are a global threat that go against pluralism and diversity and they represent a particular threat to Mexico," she added.

Three weeks into his administration, Trump has vowed to move ahead with construction of his signature border wall, which he has repeatedly said Mexico will pay for, as well as signalling a new push to deport millions of unauthorised immigrants from the country.

While organizers of the marches promoted them as non-partisan, many singled out Pena Nieto as a major obstacle.

"We're also marching today to demand that our own rulers put an end to corruption and so much loss of life here and actually look out for the good of the country, not just themselves," said 28-year-old office worker Victor Robledo.

Last month, a poll showed that Pena Nieto's approval ratings had hit a record low at just 12 percent, the lowest level of support for any president in decades.

(Additional reporting by Roberto Ramirez and Lizbeth Diaz; Editing by Mary Milliken)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Pipeline fights move from Dakota prairie to Louisiana bayous
Pipeline fights move from Dakota prairie to Louisiana bayous
  • US
  • 2017-02-22 06:04:38Z

When Hope Rosinski's father gave her a six-acre plot in Louisiana more than a decade ago, she was surprised to find oil and gas pipelines crisscrossing the property. Pipeline companies later secured her permission for two more lines, one of which has since caused flooding and consistently leaves her land saturated. Rosinski is fighting the latest request for a right-of-way, this time from Energy Transfer Partners - the company behind the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline.

Immigration advocates denounce DHS plan to implement Trump executive orders
Immigration advocates denounce DHS plan to implement Trump executive orders

Immigration policy experts lashed out Tuesday at the Department of Homeland Security's plan to implement President Trump's executive orders on immigration. "In my many years of practicing immigration law, I have not seen a mass deportation blueprint like this one," Marielena Hincapié, executive director of the National Immigration Law Center, a Los Angeles-based nonprofit that advocates for the rights of low-income immigrant families, said in a conference call with reporters. In two memos issued Tuesday, DHS Secretary John Kelly laid out sweeping new guidance for officers tasked with carrying out the president's immigration policies.

Trump to spare U.S.
Trump to spare U.S. 'dreamer' immigrants from crackdown
  • US
  • 2017-02-22 02:26:15Z

President Donald Trump's administration plans to consider almost all illegal immigrants subject to deportation, but will leave protections in place for immigrants known as "dreamers" who entered the United States illegally as children, according to official guidelines released on Tuesday. The Department of Homeland Security guidance to immigration agents is part of a broader border security and immigration enforcement plan in executive orders that Republican Trump signed on Jan. 25. Former President Barack Obama, a Democrat, issued an executive order in 2012 that protected 750,000 immigrants who had been brought into the United States illegally by their parents.

Denver defends release of illegal immigrant later charged in murder
Denver defends release of illegal immigrant later charged in murder
  • US
  • 2017-02-22 02:03:58Z

The Denver Sheriff's Department on Tuesday defended its release of an illegal immigrant after he posted bond on theft charges only to be arrested for murder weeks later, saying it had no authority to hold him. Ever Valles, 19, a Mexican national, was released from the Denver jail in late December. The case has drawn parallels to the 2015 murder of a 32-year-old woman, Kathryn Steinle, who was fatally shot at a San Francisco tourist site by a five-time deported Mexican immigrant.

Elevator scion who defaced Trump
Elevator scion who defaced Trump's Hollywood star gets probation
  • US
  • 2017-02-22 01:36:29Z

The elevator company scion who defaced Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame during the presidential campaign last autumn pleaded no contest on Tuesday to felony vandalism and received three years' probation. James Lambert Otis, 53, has admitted using a sledgehammer and pickax to smash the pink terrazzo star and remove the brass medallion from the center of the sidewalk plaque in an act of protest caught on video in the predawn darkness in October. Otis, a member of the family behind the Connecticut-based Otis Elevator Company, a leading manufacturer of elevators, escalators and moving walkways, was taken into custody the next day.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Europe

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.