Samsung's Galaxy S8 is already a smash hit




Ahead of the Galaxy S8's announcement late last month, there was a growing concern that the Galaxy Note 7 debacle would weigh heavy on consumers' minds, and ultimately have a big negative impact on Samsung's new launch. As we're sure you will recall, Samsung's best smartphone to date was recalled last year - twice - after some Note 7 batteries burst into flames, causing injuries and property damage in the process. Surveys that sought to gauge how the Note 7 might impact Samsung's Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ release were mixed, but we had a feeling that people would quickly forget about the Note 7's issues when they saw how impressive Samsung's new flagship phones were.

Well, it looks like we hit the nail on the head, because Samsung's new Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ haven't been released yet and they're already a smash hit.


As we told you last week, preorders for Samsung's new Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ have been explosive. Samsung made a few announcements highlighting just how impressive pre-sales have been in its home country of South Korea, and now a new report from a reputable site states that a major milestone has been surpassed.

According to a report from The Investor, a market-focused offshoot of South Korean newspaper The Korea Herald, preorders of Samsung's Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ in South Korea have surpassed 1 million units. The report cites data collected from local wireless carriers as of Tuesday, April 18th.

The Galaxy S8 and S8+ became available for preorder on April 7th, which means the phones took just 10 days to reach the milestone. Of note, no previous Samsung smartphone has ever reached 1 million preorders in South Korea.

Samsung's new Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ are scheduled to be released this Friday, April 21st, in South Korea and in a number of international markets including the United States. We wrote about how impressive Samsung's new flagship phones are in our hands-on Galaxy S8 preview, and our full Galaxy S8 review is forthcoming.

Trending right now:

See the original version of this article on BGR.com

COMMENTS

More Related News

China military criticizes
China military criticizes 'wrong' U.S. moves on Taiwan, South China Sea
  • World
  • 2017-08-17 07:09:26Z

The "wrong" actions of the United States on Taiwan, its South China Sea patrols and deployment of an advanced anti-missile system in South Korea have had a large, negative influence on military trust, a senior Chinese officer said on Thursday. Fan Changlong, a vice chairman of China's

The Latest: China tells US, NKorea to hit brakes on threats
The Latest: China tells US, NKorea to hit brakes on threats

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - The Latest on the North Korea crisis (all times local):

North Korea leader holds off on Guam missile plan
North Korea leader holds off on Guam missile plan

North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un said Tuesday he would hold off on a planned missile strike near Guam, but warned the highly provocative move would go ahead in the event of further "reckless actions" by Washington. Some analysts suggested Kim's comments opened a possible path to de-escalating a growing crisis fuelled by bellicose words between US President Donald Trump and the North Korean leadership. The North's official KCNA news agency said Kim was briefed on the "plan for an enveloping fire at Guam" during an inspection on Monday of the Strategic Force command in charge of the nuclear-armed state's missile units.

North Korea
North Korea's Kim holds off on Guam missile plan; Seoul says will prevent war

By Christine Kim and Idrees Ali SEOUL/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - North Korea's leader has delayed a decision on firing missiles towards Guam while he waits to see what the United States does next, the North's state media said on Tuesday, as South Korea's president said Seoul would seek to prevent war by all means. Signs of an easing in tension on the Korean peninsula helped stock markets rally for a second day running even as the United States and South Korea prepared for more joint military drills and experts warned North Korea could still go ahead with its provocative plan.

Samsung copycat Xiaomi has a phone called
Samsung copycat Xiaomi has a phone called 'Note' and it just exploded in someone's pants

Xiaomi is currently the biggest smartphone startup in the world, and it's no mystery how the company got to where it is now. In the early days, Xiaomi copied literally every single move Apple made. Its phones were iPhone ripoffs, and its sales strategy mirrored Apple's. In fact, Xiaomi unveiled a new smartphone one year by having an executive in jeans and a black mock turtleneck announce it on stage. Seriously, we're not joking. Once the company's business started to really take off, it widened its net to include copying everything Samsung does as well. One of Xiaomi's most popular smartphone lines bears the "Note" name that Samsung made famous with its Galaxy Note lineup. While...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.