South Korea says it wants to reopen communications with North amid missile crisis




  • In World
  • 2017-05-17 02:59:52Z
  • By By Christine Kim
FILE PHOTO: North Korea
FILE PHOTO: North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un watches a military drill marking the 85th anniversary of the establishment of the Korean People's Army  

By Christine Kim

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea said on Wednesday it wanted to reopen communications with North Korea as new President Moon Jae-in seeks a two-track policy involving sanctions and dialogue with its reclusive neighbor to rein in its nuclear and missile programs.

North Korea has made no secret of the fact that it is working to develop a nuclear-tipped missile capable of striking the U.S. mainland and has ignored calls to rein in its nuclear and missile programs, even from China, its lone major ally.

Its latest ballistic missile launch, in defiance of UN Security Council resolutions, was on Sunday which it said was a test of its capability to carry a "large-size heavy nuclear warhead", drawing Security Council condemnation.

"Our most basic stance is that communication lines between South and North Korea should open," Lee Duk-haeng, a spokesman for the South's Unification Ministry, told reporters. "The Unification Ministry has considered options on this internally but nothing has been decided yet."

Communications were severed by the North last year, Lee said, in the wake of new sanctions following North Korea's last nuclear test and Pyongyang's decision to shut down a joint industrial zone operated inside the North.

North Korea and the rich, democratic South are technically still at war because their 1950-53 conflict ended in a truce, not a peace treaty. The North defends its weapons programs as necessary to counter U.S. hostility.

Moon won an election last week campaigning on a more moderate approach to the North and said after taking office that he wants to pursue dialogue as well as pressure to stop the North's weapons programs.

Moon's envoy to the United States, South Korean media mogul Hong Seok-hyun, left for Washington early on Wednesday. Hong said he would discuss North Korea with high-ranking officials in Washington.

Hong said South Korea had not yet received official word from the United States on whether Seoul should pay for an anti-missile U.S. radar system that has been deployed outside Seoul.

U.S. President Donald Trump has said he wants South Korea to pay for the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system which detected Sunday's launch.

China has strongly opposed THAAD, saying it can spy into its territory, and South Korean companies have been hit in China by a nationalist backlash over the deployment.

The United States said on Tuesday it believed it could persuade China to impose new U.N. sanctions on North Korea and warned that Washington would also target and "call out" countries supporting Pyongyang.

Speaking to reporters ahead of a closed-door U.N. Security Council meeting, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley also made clear that Washington would only talk to North Korea once it halted its nuclear program.

Trump has called for an immediate halt to North Korea's missile and nuclear tests and U.S. Disarmament Ambassador Robert Wood said on Tuesday that China's leverage was key and Beijing could do more.

Trump warned this month that a "major, major conflict" with North Korea was possible, and in a show of force, sent the Carl Vinson aircraft carrier strike group to Korean waters to conduct drills with South Korea and Japan.

(Additional reporting by Michelle; Nichols at the UNITED NATIONS; Editing by Nick Macfie)

COMMENTS

More Related News

US Navy Seals tasked with North Korea 'decapitation' strike could be part of exercises
US Navy Seals tasked with North Korea 'decapitation' strike could be part of exercises

A unit of US special forces tasked with carrying out "decapitation" operations may be aboard a nuclear-powered submarine docked in the South Korean port of Busan, the nation's newswire reported on Monday, citing a defence source. The USS Michigan, an 18,000-metric ton submarine, arrived in Busan on Friday, ahead of a ten day joint US-South Korean drill led by the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier. The US Navy maintains that the Michigan, known for carrying special-ops teams, is docked in a "routine port visit." The US military also denies training for decapitation missions or regime change, and does not typically comment on Navy SEAL deployments. However, the presence on board the...

North Korea Says Nuclear War 'May Break Out Any Moment'
North Korea Says Nuclear War 'May Break Out Any Moment'

North Korea warned a United Nations committee on Monday that a nuclear conflict "may break out any moment," continuing a bombastic war of words between the East Asian country and the United States that has only increased in recent months.

The U.S. Navy Just Parked a Guided-Missile Submarine Right Near North Korea
The U.S. Navy Just Parked a Guided-Missile Submarine Right Near North Korea

As tensions with North Korea continue to rise, the United States continues to bring more long-range precision striking power into the region. On October 13, USS Michigan (SSGN 727)-an Ohio-class guided-missile submarine-pulled into a South Korean naval base in the port city of Busan. While the U.S. Pacific Command states that Michigan's visit to the Republic of Korea (ROK) was long planned, the message to North Korea is clear-the United States will stand by Seoul if Pyongyang makes any aggressive moves.

North Korea tells UN will not negotiate with a
North Korea tells UN will not negotiate with a 'hostile' US

North Korea on Monday told the United Nations that it will never negotiate the dismantling of its nuclear weapons unless the United States reverses its "hostile" policy. "Unless the hostile policy and the nuclear threat of the US is thoroughly eradicated, we will never put our nuclear weapons and ballistic rockets on the negotiation table under any circumstance," he said.

Tillerson: Diplomacy With North Korea Will Continue 'Until The First Bomb Drops'
Tillerson: Diplomacy With North Korea Will Continue 'Until The First Bomb Drops'

The Trump administration intends to continue diplomatic efforts with North Korea "until the first bomb drops," Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said on Sunday.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.