Trump budget proposal would dramatically cut foreign aid




  • In US
  • 2017-05-23 17:32:20Z
  • By By Yeganeh Torbati
FILE PHOTO - President Donald Trump
FILE PHOTO - President Donald Trump's FY2018 budget is seen printed at the Government Publishing Office in Washington

By Yeganeh Torbati

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump's proposed budget would slash nearly a third in funding for diplomacy and foreign aid including global health and food aid, peacekeeping and other forms of non-military foreign involvement.

If passed, the steep funding cuts in the plan released on Tuesday would mean much less non-military U.S. government engagement abroad as the administration implements Trump's "America First" worldview.

The budget plan may face rough sledding in Congress, where both Republicans and Democrats have said they do not support such drastic cuts to U.S. diplomacy and foreign aid.

"This budget reflects a commitment to ensure every tax dollar spent is aligned with mission-critical objectives," said Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in a statement.

Trump's budget would cut U.S. funding for global health programs including efforts focusing on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria by 24 percent, to about $6.5 billion for 2018.

"Some programs were eliminated but every effort was made to ensure that the most critical priorities are maintained," the State Department's budget request stated. "Responding to global health challenges is a shared responsibility that cannot be met by one nation alone."

The budget envisions changes to the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) program, a cornerstone of U.S. global health assistance, which supports HIV/AIDS treatment, testing and counseling for millions of people worldwide. The budget document says within the PEPFAR budget, the State Department will "prioritize 12 countries in which the United States will continue to work towards epidemic control."

PEPFAR currently supports efforts in 65 countries, according to its website.

"This proposal would allow PEPFAR to continue to achieve impact within a lower budget by reprioritizing resources and leveraging funding from other donors and host country governments," the document states.

The budget proposal also includes a 44 percent cut to funding for international organizations, but does not specify the cuts, other than "funding for organizations that work against U.S. foreign policy interests." The budget proposal said the NATO military alliance "would continue to be fully funded."

Under Trump's proposal, the Title II Food Aid program, which makes up the bulk of U.S. international food assistance, would be eliminated entirely, representing a $1.7 billion cut. Under the program, the United States purchases agricultural commodities from American farmers and donates them to support food needs abroad.

(Reporting by Yeganeh Torbati; Editing by Andrea Ricci and David Gregorio)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump backs off Afghan withdrawal, lambasts Pakistan
Trump backs off Afghan withdrawal, lambasts Pakistan

"My instinct was to pull out" Trump admitted as he spoke of frustration with a war that has killed thousands of US troops and cost US taxpayers trillions of dollars. While Trump refused to offer detailed troop numbers, senior White House officials said he had already authorized his defense secretary to deploy up to 3,900 more troops to Afghanistan. A conflict that began in October 2001 as a hunt for the 9/11 attackers has turned into a vexed effort to keep Afghanistan's divided and corruption-hindered democracy alive amid a brutal Taliban insurgency.

Anger over rally violence boils over in Charlottesville
Anger over rally violence boils over in Charlottesville

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) - Anger boiled over at the first Charlottesville City Council meeting since a white nationalist rally in the city descended into violent chaos, with some residents screaming and cursing at councilors Monday night and calling for their resignations.

'That's too bad': Donald Trump criticised for response to news ten sailors missing, five injured after US warship collides with oil tanker near Singapore
'That's too bad': Donald Trump criticised for response to news ten sailors missing, five injured after US warship collides with oil tanker near Singapore

Ten US sailors were missing after a US destroyer collided with an oil tanker in southeast Asia, the second serious accident involving American Navy ships in the region in little more than two months. Returning to the White House on Sunday night, President Donald Trump responded to reporters' questions about the accident by saying: "That's too bad." Strongly criticised on social media for his response, he later tweeted: "Thoughts & prayers are w/ our @USNavy sailors aboard the #USSJohnSMcCain where search & rescue efforts are underway." Search and rescue efforts were launched  after the USS John S McCain was involved in a collision with the Alnic MC east of Singapore and the...

US military leaders await Trump decision on Afghan mission
US military leaders await Trump decision on Afghan mission

CAMP MOREHEAD, Afghanistan (AP) - Signaling that the U.S. military expects its mission to continue, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan on Sunday hailed the launch of the Afghan Army's new special operations corps, declaring that "we are with you and we will stay with you."

Pence on message, despite Trump
Pence on message, despite Trump's troubles at home

The day after President Donald Trump sparred with reporters on live television over assigning blame for violence at a white supremacist rally, White House aides were stunned, advisers were whispering their ...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.