U.S. says Iranian-directed convoy targeted by U.S. strike in Syria




  • In World
  • 2017-05-20 00:16:39Z
  • By By Phil Stewart

By Phil Stewart

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States said on Friday it believed forces in a convoy targeted by U.S. military aircraft in southern Syria on Thursday were Iranian-directed, in a possible sign of increased tension between Washington and Tehran in the Syrian war.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon that the U.S. strike was defensive in nature. It was condemned by the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who has the backing of Iran and Russia.

A member of the U.S.-backed Syrian rebel forces told Reuters on Thursday the convoy comprised Syrian and Iranian-backed militias and was headed toward the garrison in Syria used by U.S. and U.S.-backed forces around the town of At Tanf.

The United States determined that the convoy posed a threat.

"It was necessitated ... by offensive movement with offensive capability of what we believe were Iranian-directed - I don't know there were Iranians on the ground - but by Iranian-directed forces," Mattis said at a news conference.

Rebel sources have warned of advances by Syrian army and Iranian-backed militia in the region near the strategic Damascus-Baghdad highway, which was once a major weapons supply route for Iranian weapons.

Mattis said he believed the Iranian-directed forces moved into the zone against the advice of Russia but that he was unable to confirm that with certainty.

"But it looks like the Russians tried to dissuade them," Mattis said.

A Western intelligence official, speaking on condition of anonymity, has said the strike sent a strong message to Iranian-backed militias that they would not be allowed to reach the Iraq border from Syria.

Syrian government negotiator Bashar al-Ja'afari said on Friday he had raised the incident with U.N. mediator Staffan de Mistura at peace talks in Geneva.

"We discussed the massacre that the U.S. aggressor committed yesterday in our country. This subject was widely discussed," Ja'afari told reporters.

Thursday's air strike did not on its own suggest a shift in the U.S. military's focus in Syria, which has been on battling Islamic State militants.

But the latest move showed that the area around the Tanf garrison in southern Syria could be under pressure.

U.S. Marine General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said he had been working on ways to manage Syria's messy battlefield with Russia. There is no interaction between the U.S. and Syrian militaries.

"We had a proposal that we're working on with the Russians right now. I won't share the details," Dunford said.

"But my sense is that the Russians are as enthusiastic as we are to deconflict operations and ensure that we can continue to take the campaign to ISIS and ensure the safety of our personnel," he said, using an acronym for Islamic State.

(This version of the story was refiled to change to Iranian-directed, not Iran-directed in headline and paragraph 1)

(Reporting by Phil Stewart; additional reporting by Vladimir Soldatkin; editing by Grant McCool)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Wall Street edges higher; U.S. Fed meeting in focus
Wall Street edges higher; U.S. Fed meeting in focus

The U.S. central bank is expected to announce when it will begin paring its bond holdings, and while a September interest rate increase is not expected, investors will closely study Fed Chair Janet Yellen's views on inflation for clues whether the Fed will raise rates in December. "It seems

Trump's UN Speech Photos Are Like A Bottomless Pot Of Gold
Trump's UN Speech Photos Are Like A Bottomless Pot Of Gold

On Tuesday, President Trump spoke to the United Nations general assembly for the first time while in office.

Trump Threatens To
Trump Threatens To 'Totally Destroy' North Korea In 'America First' Speech At United Nations

President Donald Trump forcefully defended the United States and condemned North Korea and Iran in his first speech before the United Nations General Assembly, while trying to strike a cordial tone on the international alliances he had previously criticized.

At U.N., Trump adviser says U.S. still leaving Paris climate pact
At U.N., Trump adviser says U.S. still leaving Paris climate pact
  • US
  • 2017-09-18 14:24:54Z

By Jeff Mason NEW YORK (Reuters) - President Donald Trump's top economic adviser said at the United Nations on Monday the United States had not changed its plans to withdraw from the Paris climate pact without a renegotiation favorable to Washington, with little appetite for such a step in the international community. Trump in June announced his decision to withdraw the United States from the Paris climate agreement, saying it would put U.S. industries at a disadvantage, cost U.S. jobs, weaken American national sovereignty and put the country at a permanent disadvantage to the other countries of the world.

Tillerson says U.S. weighing closing embassy in Cuba over sonic attacks
Tillerson says U.S. weighing closing embassy in Cuba over sonic attacks

The United States is considering closing its embassy in Havana in response to an alleged sonic attack on U.S. personnel in Cuba, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said on Sunday. "We have it under evaluation," Tillerson said on CBS' "Face the Nation" program. "It's a

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.