White House sidewalk to be closed to public permanently




  • In US
  • 2017-04-20 01:22:30Z
  • By Reuters
Tourists take selfies by the original South Lawn security fencing at the White House in Washington May 28, 2015.
Tourists take selfies by the original South Lawn security fencing at the White House in Washington May 28, 2015.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Secret Service said it would end public access to a sidewalk along the south fence of the White House beginning on Wednesday night.

The sidewalk has been closed nightly from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. since 2015 and will now be off-limits around the clock, the Secret Service said in a statement.

The closure will "lessen the possibility of individuals illegally accessing the White House grounds," Secret Service Communications Director Cathy Milhoan said.

In March, a man scaled a fence east of the White House at night and was on the property's grounds for 16 minutes before being detained. He never entered the White House, the Secret Service said.

President Donald Trump was inside the residence at the time of the March 10 incident.

The intrusion was the latest in a series of breaches at the White House in recent years. Security has been boosted, including the installation in 2015 of sharp spikes on top of the black iron fence that circles the 18-acre (7-hectare) property.

Blocking use of the south fence sidewalk will not obstruct the public's ability to view or photograph the White House and its grounds, the Secret Service said, adding no additional "physical" barriers would be installed.

The same restrictions are in place on the north fence of the White House grounds, according to the Secret Service.



(Reporting by Eric Beech; Editing by Peter Cooney)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Flynn rejects Trump-Russia probe subpoena; Dems say he lied
Flynn rejects Trump-Russia probe subpoena; Dems say he lied
  • World
  • 2017-05-23 00:10:42Z

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump's former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in rebuffing a subpoena Monday in the investigation into Russia's election meddling. Then a top House Democrat cited new evidence he said appeared

Trump asked two intel chiefs to deny Russia collusion: report
Trump asked two intel chiefs to deny Russia collusion: report

President Donald Trump asked two top US intelligence officials in March to help push back against the FBI investigation into his campaign's possible links with Russia, The Washington Post reported Monday. In the newest report suggesting the White House sought to tamp down the Russia probe, the Post said Trump urged National Security Agency chief Michael Rogers and to Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats to publicly deny any evidence of collusion between his campaign and Russia during last year's presidential election.

Trump budget poised to slash healthcare for poor, other programs
Trump budget poised to slash healthcare for poor, other programs
  • US
  • 2017-05-22 17:14:41Z

The White House is set to release President Donald Trump's first full budget on Tuesday, a plan that will include a cut of more than $800 billion from the Medicaid program for the poor and reductions in other social spending. The Medicaid cuts were part of a Republican healthcare bill passed by the U.S. House of Representatives in early May, which aims to gut the Obama administration's 2010 law that expanded insurance coverage and the government-run Medicaid program. Trump's initial budget outline for discretionary spending received a tepid response from Congress, which controls the purse strings, and, ultimately, government spending.

Medicaid cuts coming in Trump budget: Washington Post
Medicaid cuts coming in Trump budget: Washington Post

U.S. President Donald Trump's budget proposal, set to be unveiled on Tuesday, will include cuts to Medicaid and propose changes to other assistance programs for low-income citizens, the Washington Post reported on Sunday. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A Republican

Congressional panels pledge thorough probe into Comey firing
Congressional panels pledge thorough probe into Comey firing

WASHINGTON (AP) - Members of key congressional committees pledged Sunday to proceed with aggressive investigations into Russia's meddling into the U.S. election and any ties with the Trump campaign, saying the American people need a full airing as to why former FBI director James Comey was ousted

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.