Wisconsin man accused of sending manifesto to Trump arrested after manhunt




  • In US
  • 2017-04-14 14:41:18Z
  • By Reuters
Joseph Jakubowski is pictured in this undated booking photo.
Joseph Jakubowski is pictured in this undated booking photo.

(Reuters) - A Wisconsin man accused of stealing an arsenal of weapons from a gun shop and sending an anti-government manifesto to President Donald Trump has been arrested after a massive manhunt, the Rock County Sheriff's Office said on Friday.

Joseph Jakubowski, 32, was taken into custody on Friday morning after being located overnight in Southwest Wisconsin, where he appeared to be camping in a rural area, the sheriff said in a statement.

A force of 150 law enforcement personnel, including Federal Bureau of Investigation agents, were searching for the suspect as of last weekend, authorities said.

The weeks-long hunt for Jakubowski was triggered by an April 4 break-in at a gun shop called Armageddon Supplies in the suspect's hometown of Janesville, about 70 miles (113 km) southwest of Milwaukee. The theft netted 18 guns and two silencers, said a criminal complaint filed in the Rock County Wisconsin Circuit Court in Janesville, Wisconsin.

A 161-page manifesto he mailed to Trump criticized officials from all levels of government and contained "anti-religious views," according to investigators on the case. A video posted to social media appears to show Jakubowski mailing the manifesto.

He was taken into custody without incident hours after a farmer called the Vernon County Sheriff's Office on Thursday night to report a suspicious person on his property in Readstown, Wisconsin. Authorities were making arrangements to return him to Rock County to face charges.

Jakubowski is charged with armed burglary, felony theft and possession of burglary tools, according to the complaint.

He previously served time in prison for trying to wrestle a gun away from a police officer.

His sister also found a letter he wrote before the break-in at the gun shop, explaining that he wanted to purchase weapons to protect himself and his family, but was barred from doing so because he is a convicted felon, according to court documents.


(Reporting By Barbara Goldberg in New York; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Alden Bentley)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump pushes aside Montenegro leader _ who calls it natural
Trump pushes aside Montenegro leader _ who calls it natural
  • World
  • 2017-05-26 01:31:17Z

BRUSSELS (AP) - President Donald Trump's push to get in front of the pack at a NATO summit generated indignation in the Balkans and garnered attention on social media - but the man he shoved aside took it in stride.

Trump son-in-law Kushner under FBI scrutiny in Russia probe: media reports
Trump son-in-law Kushner under FBI scrutiny in Russia probe: media reports
  • US
  • 2017-05-25 23:45:59Z

President Donald Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, a senior White House adviser, is under scrutiny by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in the Russia probe, the Washington Post and NBC News reported on Thursday. Kushner is being investigated because of his meetings in December and other possible interactions with the Russian ambassador and a banker from Moscow, the Post reported, citing people familiar with the investigation. Kushner is the only current White House official known to be considered a key person in the probe, the newspaper reported.

Appeals court deals blow to Trump administration travel ban
Appeals court deals blow to Trump administration travel ban

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump's revised travel ban "speaks with vague words of national security, but in context drips with religious intolerance, animus and discrimination," a federal appeals court said Thursday in ruling against the executive order targeting six Muslim-majority

Trump meets wary EU, NATO allies in
Trump meets wary EU, NATO allies in 'hellhole' Brussels

BRUSSELS (AP) - Visiting a city he once called a "hellhole" to meet with the leaders of one alliance he threatened to abandon and another whose weakening he cheered, President Donald Trump will address a continent Thursday still reeling from his election and anxious about his support.

Trump denounces Manchester attack by
Trump denounces Manchester attack by 'evil losers'

U.S. President Donald Trump extended his condolences on Tuesday to the victims of the Manchester suicide bombing that killed 22 people and said those behind the attack were "evil losers". Trump, speaking after talks with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in the town of Bethlehem in the occupied

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.