Alec Baldwin to turn in cell phone amid 'Rust' probe 'this week,' attorney says




  • In US
  • 2022-01-13 23:15:22Z
  • By The Hill
 


Alec Baldwin will turn his cell phone over for review by the authorities "this week" as part of the investigation into last year's fatal shooting on the New Mexico set of his movie "Rust," according to his attorney

"We reached an agreement last weekend with the Santa Fe Sheriff's Office and the Santa Fe District Attorney's Office, and Mr. Baldwin's phone is being turned over this week for review," Baldwin's lawyer Aaron Dyer told The Hill in a statement on Thursday

The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Department said that Baldwin's cell phone had not yet been turned over.

The department had issued a search warrant for Baldwin's phone last month, saying authorities want "to search for any evidence relating to the death investigation of Halyna Hutchins," the cinematographer who was fatally shot in the October incident.

"Affiant believes there may be evidence on the phone, due to individuals using cellular phones during and/or after the commission of crime(s)," the warrant said. It will allow police to download images, social network accounts and private messages belonging to Baldwin, while also permitting authorities to access deleted files including images, messages and browser history.

Dyer on Thursday also emphasized that Baldwin has continued to cooperate with authorities since the fatal shooting, calling any suggestions of the contrary "simply untrue."

"We requested that the authorities obtain a warrant so that we could protect his privacy on other matters unrelated to Rust and have been working through that process. We are finalizing logistics with the authorities in New York who are assisting in this matter," he said.

Baldwin was holding a gun on the set of "Rust" when it fired a "suspected live round" that killed Hutchins and injured the movie's film director Joel Souza, according to authorities. An investigation is currently underway.

Baldwin has said he did not pull the trigger of the gun.

The film's armorer filed a lawsuit against the gun supplier and the company's founder on Wednesday, arguing that misrepresented dummy rounds are to blame for the fatal shooting. Hannah Gutierrez-Reed is claiming that the dummy rounds supplied by PDQ Arm and Prop LLC were misrepresented because they were comprised of both dummy and live rounds of ammunition.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Two men found guilty in 2020 murder in Lehigh Acres partially caught on witness dash cam
Two men found guilty in 2020 murder in Lehigh Acres partially caught on witness dash cam
  • US
  • 2022-01-23 13:19:58Z

Victor Colon Jr., 25, and Ricky Ruiz, 26, faced charges stemming from a fatal February shooting partially captured by the dash cam of a witness.

English doctor killed by stray bullet in Atlanta suburb
English doctor killed by stray bullet in Atlanta suburb
  • US
  • 2022-01-22 19:41:58Z

Authorities are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of an English doctor who was fatally shot in an apartment in an Atlanta...

'Broken, shattered': Family remembers 22-year-old Boise man who died after shooting
  • US
  • 2022-01-22 01:58:40Z

"He was a miracle, from the moment he entered this world. He's still a miracle to this day. He's just been a light to all of us."

Gardens man pleads guilty to threatening violence against Nancy Pelosi, AOC
Gardens man pleads guilty to threatening violence against Nancy Pelosi, AOC
  • US
  • 2022-01-21 23:59:05Z

Paul Vernon Hoeffer of Palm Beach Gardens will be sentenced in April for threats of violence he made to three elected officials, all of them women.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US