Police were called to at least six high schools across Michigan on Tuesday, Feb. 7, on reports of school shootings that turned out to be fake.
So far, there have been no reports of injuries at any of the schools, located in Portage, Saginaw, Okemos, Jackson, Ann Arbor and Muskegon - with possibly more tips rolling in.
More:Official: All students, staff safe at Okemos High after false report of shooting
More:Jonesville police arrest student behind Wednesday's school threat
MSP sent a release to schools saying the calls were "the actions of a coordinated campaign," targeting K-12 schools around the state.
MSP said several agencies reported similar details - the caller had a heavy accent and stated the school's name and address. The caller said they were a teacher in the school and reported that a student had shot another student. The caller then gave a room number that was "found to not exist in the school," MSP said.
Portage Department of Public Safety Chief Nick Armold confirmed to WOOD TV-8 that Portage Northern High School received some sort of "hoax" or "swatting" call. A message from the school to parents said it was the "victim of a prank."
"We had units on scene within about 90 seconds, and probably, I would imagine within 30 seconds after that and conferring with school officials, we were able to ascertain it was a fake prank call," Portage DPS Deputy Director Jeff VanderWiere said.
"Swatting" is when someone makes a fake 911 call to prompt the unnecessary response of a SWAT team.
Officials in Muskegon confirmed another report came in for Muskegon High School. It also turned out to be "a complete hoax," Muskegon Police Department Chief Tim Kozal said. Kozal told WOOD TV-8 the call came from an untraceable number, likely a Google number.
Police in Battle Creek and Benton Harbor confirmed they were investigating similar fake school threats.
East of Lansing, there was a heavy police presence at Okemos High School on Tuesday morning. Local police said the call about an active shooter came in just after 9 a.m. They searched the building, learned there was no active threat and gave the all-clear. Okemos canceled classes for the day.
A nearly identical call was made to Jackson High School, with the district writing on social media it got a hoax call from an "unknown Google number." The school also said it got an all-clear from police.
Jackson Public Schools thanked police for their quick response, saying they were "on the scene within minutes of the phone call in full force with the utmost care and concern for the safety of our students and staff."
MSP tweeted a warning Tuesday that it's a crime to make such bogus reports.
Subscribe:Get all your breaking news and unlimited access to our local coverage
"Parents, this is a good time to remind the kids. Usually, after a large incident like this we get copycat calls for days following the incident. While some may consider it a joke, it is a good way to ruin your life if convicted of a false threat of terrorism."
Meanwhile, in Saginaw, ABC-12 reported several police agencies responded to a shooting hoax at Nouvel Catholic Central High School.
Just last week, a student was arrested for "swatting" Jonesville Community Schools. She was held on charges of conspiracy to communicate a terroristic threat, a 20-year felony in Michigan.
"Threats of violence in our schools disrupt the classroom, tax our local law enforcement agencies and harm our students' sense of safety," Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel wrote in a statement.
"Whether these are real threats made by those intent on doing harm or pranks made by kids trying to get a day off, they are real crimes with real consequences. It's critical that adults and students alike understand the seriousness of these threats and the criminal charges they could face."
This article originally appeared on The Holland Sentinel: At least six Michigan high schools receive false shooting calls