Authorities file search warrants in connection with Moore County power grid attack




  • In US
  • 2022-12-09 01:23:14Z
  • By WSOC
 

Authorities in Moore County have filed search warrants in connection with the attack on two Duke Energy electrical substations Saturday night that left about 45,000 customers without power for several days.

No suspects have been identified.

The FBI and Moore County filed search warrants to get cellphone tower data, the FBI told Channel 9. Search warrant applications are a normal step in a law enforcement investigation.

READ MORE:

  • Gun shop owner sleeps in store to ward off thieves during Moore County blackouts

  • Power grid attack: Duke Energy previously fined for security violations, report alleges

  • NC families seek shelter from cold amid power outages caused by substation attack

  • FBI investigating power grid attack in Moore County, sheriff says

  • UNC journalism student from Concord covers Moore County blackouts for NYT

One or more people broke into the substations through the gates and opened fire on them, cutting off power at about 7 p.m. Saturday, authorities said.

A motive has not been released in the attacks, but Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields said that whoever was responsible "knew exactly what they were doing to ... cause the outage that they did."

The equipment was repaired and power was restored Wednesday. The state of emergency for the county ended at 5 a.m. Thursday.

Earlier in the week, Gov. Roy Cooper announced a reward of up to $75,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of whoever is responsible for the attacks.

On Thursday, Duke Energy said it found no sign of property damage at a hydropower station in South Carolina where gunfire was reported nearby. Multiple federal agencies are monitoring the development.

At least four electrical substations have been targeted in separate attacks in Oregon and Washington since late November, Oregon Public Broadcasting and KUOW Public Radio reported Thursday. Attackers used firearms in at least some of the incidents, and some power customers in Oregon temporarily lost service.

VIDEO: Power restored: Moore County residents try to return to normal after substation attack

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


COMMENTS

More Related News

'We have let the people down': Austin mayor apologizes for city's response to power outages

Austin's response to widespread power outages has garnered criticism as more than 119,000 Austin Energy customers still had no power Friday afternoon.

Rep. Jim Jordan subpoenas FBI, Education Department over school board memo
Rep. Jim Jordan subpoenas FBI, Education Department over school board memo

Rep. Jim Jordan subpoenaed the FBI and Education Department for documents about a memo the GOP says targeted parents protesting school board meetings.

FBI offers $25,000 rewards for information in recent attacks on NC power substations
FBI offers $25,000 rewards for information in recent attacks on NC power substations
  • US
  • 2023-02-03 17:30:13Z

Authorities have yet to identify suspects in the attacks on Moore and Randolph county substations.

Microsoft: Iran unit behind Charlie Hebdo hack-and-leak op
Microsoft: Iran unit behind Charlie Hebdo hack-and-leak op
  • US
  • 2023-02-03 15:12:24Z

After the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo's launched a cartoon contest to mock Iran's ruling cleric, a state-backed Iranian cyber unit struck back...

FBI expected to search Pence locations; DNC considers 2024 presidential primary calendar: live updates
FBI expected to search Pence locations; DNC considers 2024 presidential primary calendar: live updates

The anticipated action comes after the FBI searched Biden's Delaware vacation home Wednesday. Also, North Korea warns of "overwhelming nuclear force."

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US