Google must remove 'manifestly inaccurate' data, EU top court says




  • In US
  • 2022-12-08 08:48:08Z
  • By Reuters
 

By Foo Yun Chee

LUXEMBOURG (Reuters) -Alphabet unit Google must remove data from online search results if users can prove it is inaccurate, Europe's top court said on Thursday.

Free speech advocates and supporters of privacy rights have clashed in recent years over people's "right to be forgotten" online, meaning that they should be able to remove their digital traces from the internet.

The case before the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) concerned two executives from a group of investment companies who had asked Google to remove search results linking their names to certain articles criticising the group's investment model.

They also wanted Google to remove thumbnail photos of them from search results. The company rejected the requests, saying it did not know whether the information in the articles was accurate or not.

A German court subsequently sought advice from the CJEU on the balance between the right to be forgotten and the right to freedom of expression and information.

"The operator of a search engine must de-reference information found in the referenced content where the person requesting de-referencing proves that such information is manifestly inaccurate," the Court of Justice of the European Union said.

To avoid an excessive burden on users, judges said such proof does not have to come from a judicial decision against website publishers and that users only have to provide evidence that can reasonably be required of them to find.

Google said the links and thumbnails in question were no longer available through web search and image search and that the content had been offline for a long time.

"Since 2014, we've worked hard to implement the right to be forgotten in Europe, and to strike a sensible balance between people's rights of access to information and privacy," a spokesperson said.

The same court in 2014 enshrined the right to be forgotten, saying that people could ask search engines like Google to remove inadequate or irrelevant information from web results appearing under searches for their names.

The judgment preceded landmark EU privacy rules that went into effect in 2018 and state that the right to be forgotten is excluded where the processing of personal data is necessary for the exercise of the right of information.

The case is C-460/20 Google (Déréférencement d'un contenu prétendument inexact).

(Reporting by Foo Yun Chee, additional reporting by Benoit Van Overstraeten in Paris; editing by Barbara Lewis, Robert Birsel)

COMMENTS

More Related News

SAP to cut up to 3,000 jobs worldwide, mulls Qualtrics sale
SAP to cut up to 3,000 jobs worldwide, mulls Qualtrics sale
  • US
  • 2023-01-26 09:10:35Z

SAP said Thursday that it is cutting up to 3,000 jobs worldwide, or about 2.5% of its workforce, after a sharp drop in profits at Europe's biggest software...

Is UK being left behind in global climate investment battle?
Is UK being left behind in global climate investment battle?

The future of the planet and the global economy are entwined in a potentially risky geopolitical game.

Populist billionaire vies with ex-general for top Czech post
Populist billionaire vies with ex-general for top Czech post
  • US
  • 2023-01-26 07:51:38Z

A retired army general who backs military support for Ukraine and a euroskeptic billionaire who has questioned NATO's collective defense clause are...

A woman who worked for Google for almost a decade says she was in the hospital bed holding her hours-old newborn when she learned she was part of the
A woman who worked for Google for almost a decade says she was in the hospital bed holding her hours-old newborn when she learned she was part of the 'golden12K' of laid-off Googlers

The woman, who works in the product, sales and strategy ops, has not yet heard from Google about the status of her maternity leave benefits.

Lula urges EU-South America regional trade deal before China talks
Lula urges EU-South America regional trade deal before China talks

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Wednesday called for the South American trade bloc Mercosur to urgently seal a free trade agreement with the...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US