Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.), the chairman of the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, on Sunday said the panel has spoken to former U.S. Attorney General Bill Barr regarding a draft of an executive order by the Trump administration that would have deployed the National Guard to seize voting machines.
Last week, Politico published a draft of the order that would have directed national defense forces to seize voting machines. The order was never issued and the Jan. 6 committee had declined to comment on the documents at the time.
Appearing on CBS's "Face the Nation," Thompson was asked by host Margaret Brennan if the panel intended on speaking with Barr regarding the drafted order.
"Well, yes we do. To be honest with you, we've had conversations with the former attorney general already," said Thompson.
"We've talked with Department of Defense individuals. We are concerned that our military was part of this big lie on promoting that the election was false," he said. "So if you are using the military to potentially seize voting machines, even though it's a discussion, the public needs to know."
Brennan asked Thompson on whether the Jan. 6 panel had evidence that someone in the U.S. military was working on this potential plan of seizing voting machines.
"We have information that between the Department of Justice, a plan was put forward to potentially seize voting machines in the country and utilize Department of Defense assets to make that happen," Thompson said,
He clarified that there did not appear to have ever been an operational plan in place, but there was "reason enough to believe that it was being proposed."