NFL free agent Odell Beckham Jr. taken off plane in Miami




 

MIAMI (AP) - NFL free agent Odell Beckham Jr. was removed by police from an aircraft before takeoff at Miami International Airport after officials said he failed to respond to requests to buckle his seatbelt and appeared to be unconscious, police and airline officials said Sunday.

"Fearing that Mr. Beckham was seriously ill, and that his condition would worsen through the expected 5 hour flight, (flight crew members) called for police and fire rescue," Miami Dade Police Officer Luis Sierra said in a statement following the 9:30 a.m. Sunday incident.

"As they tried to wake (Beckham) to fasten his seat belt, he appeared to be coming in and out of consciousness," the statement said.

American Airlines representative Alfredo Garduno confirmed that flight 1228 to Los Angeles returned to the gate before takeoff "due to a customer failing to follow crew members' instructions and refusing to fasten their seat belt."

Carlos Gauna, a passenger in business class, said he recognized Beckham before boarding the flight and later used his cellphone camera to record him walking through the airport terminal with police. He said Beckham had been seated in first class.

"He just walked quietly. Police escorted him out," Gauna said, adding that the flight was full and he heard "grumblings" among other passengers.

Gauna, a filmmaker, was returning home to Camarillo, California, near Los Angeles, after more than two weeks documenting sharks in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Brazil.

He said the aircraft was taxiing toward takeoff when the captain announced "a situation with a passenger" required a return to the terminal. Gauna said an ambulance arrived and paramedics boarded the aircraft and spoke with Beckham before police removed him.

The other passengers re-boarded and the flight departed later for Los Angeles, where Gauna spoke with The Associated Press

A Twitter post attributed to Beckham appeared to refer to the incident, saying, "Never in my life have I experienced what just happened to me," and adding with a misspelling that he had "seen it alll."

Police said Beckham "was escorted to the non-secure area of the terminal by the officers where he made other arrangements."

Sierra did not immediately respond to questions about whether Beckham had been arrested or was cited for a criminal offense.

Beckham, 30, is a three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver who has been a free agent since helping the Los Angeles Rams win the Super Bowl last February. He caught a touchdown pass before tearing a knee ligament in that 23-20 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Beckham has been reported to be near a return to the league and the Dallas Cowboys have said they want to sign him.

Several other teams are expected to pursue Beckham, who had been at the center of controversy in previous stops with the New York Giants and Cleveland Browns.

COMMENTS

More Related News

LA
LA's long, troubled history with urban oil drilling is nearing an end after years of health concerns

Active oil wells can often be found next door to homes, office buildings and even schools. David McNew/Getty ImagesLire cet article en français Los Angeles had oil wells pumping in its neighborhoods when Hollywood was in its infancy, and thousands of active wells still dot the city. These wells can emit toxic chemicals such as benzene and other irritants into the air, often just feet from homes, schools and parks. But now, after nearly a decade of community organizing and studies demonstrating t

Video adds to questions about police shooting of a double amputee holding a knife
Video adds to questions about police shooting of a double amputee holding a knife
  • US
  • 2023-01-30 03:54:01Z

As they do every week during football season, the Lowe family gathered Sunday morning to watch the NFL games on two big flat screens in the South Los Angeles...

Questions, worries loom over Benedict Canyon shooting that left 3 dead, 4 wounded
Questions, worries loom over Benedict Canyon shooting that left 3 dead, 4 wounded
  • US
  • 2023-01-29 13:30:57Z

Residents were left shocked after a fatal shooting during a gathering in the quiet cul-de-sac of Benedict Canyon, a neighborhood north of Beverly Hills.

A Fourth Mass Shooting In California This Week Left Three People Dead
A Fourth Mass Shooting In California This Week Left Three People Dead
  • US
  • 2023-01-28 21:52:34Z

The Los Angeles police department announced on Saturday that two of the four injured are in critical condition, while two are stable.View Entire Post ›

At least 3 dead and 4 injured in shooting near Beverly Hills
At least 3 dead and 4 injured in shooting near Beverly Hills
  • US
  • 2023-01-28 18:18:23Z

A shooting in the Beverly Crest neighborhood of Los Angeles early Saturday morning has claimed the lives of at least three people and injured four, according...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America