Nick Kyrgios won his bid to avoid conviction on a charge of assaulting a former girlfriend in 2021, when he appeared in a magistrates court in Canberra on Friday.
In the Australian Capital Territory Magistrates Court, Kyrgios pleaded guilty to assault after admitting he shoved over his ex-girlfriend, Chiara Passari, in 2021.
The Australian world tennis No 20 was charged with a late-night incident from January 10, 2021, where he pushed over Ms Passari following an argument outside her apartment in inner-city Canberra suburb Kingston.
He had sought to have the assault charge dismissed on grounds of mental health at the time of the incident.
On Friday the magistrate, Beth Campbell, dismissed the charge after accepting the seriousness of the matter was "low-level" and that Kyrgios was not a risk for reoffending. Common assault in the ACT can carry a maximum sentence of two years in jail.
Kyrgios, 27, arrived at court on Friday afternoon on crutches, flanked by his mother, brother and girlfriend. He appeared in court in person for the first time since he was charged by police in July last year.
Kyrgios′ lawyer, Michael Kukulies-Smith, told the court last October that his client's mental health history since 2015 made an application for dismissal appropriate, citing a number of public statements made by Kyrgios.
The court heard Ms Passari was standing at the door of an Uber vehicle and Kyrgios pushed her over.
Ms Passari didn't report the incident until 10 months later, when the couple split after getting back together following the incident.
Ms Passari reported shoulder pain along with grazing on her knee. Kyrgios had told Ms Passari to "leave me the f*** alone" and to "just f***ing piss off" while she asked him to get out of the car and to calm down, the court heard.
After leaving court, Kyrgios posted on social media, saying he was "grateful to the court for dismissing the charges without conviction".
"I was not in a good place when this happened and I reacted to a difficult situation in a way I deeply regret," he wrote on Instagram story.
"I know it wasn't OK and I'm sincerely sorry for the hurt I caused. Mental health is tough. Life can seem overwhelming. But I've found that getting help and working on myself has allowed me to feel better and better."
He thanked his family, friends and girlfriend Costeen Hatzi for supporting him through the process. "I now plan to focus on recovering from injury and moving forward in the best possible way," he wrote.