San Francisco makes U-turn on 'killer robots' plan




  • In Business
  • 2022-12-07 03:15:16Z
  • By BBC
A bomb disposal robot extends its arm
A bomb disposal robot extends its arm  

San Francisco has reversed its decision to authorise police to use robots equipped with lethal weapons.

The proposal, which was passed last week by the city's legislators, the board of supervisors, would have allowed police to access robots that can kill.

It had faced fierce criticism from civil liberties groups.

After voting unanimously to pause the proposal on Tuesday, the board sent the issue to committee for further review.

The measure would have allowed the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD) to kill suspects with robots in extreme situations.

The vote came following a new California law requiring city police forces to keep inventories of military-grade equipment and seek approval for their use.

Dr Catherine Connolly, from the group Stop Killer Robots, told the BBC the move was a "slippery slope" that could distance humans from killing.

Protesters and several dissenting board members gathered on the steps of city hall to call for the city to reverse its decision.

In a secondary vote, usually reserved to rubber-stamp board decisions, they decided to overturn their vote.

The original proposal will now be refined or entirely scrapped.

Police have argued that the robots would only be used in extreme circumstances.

A spokesperson for SFPD said "robots could potentially be equipped with explosive charges to breach fortified structures containing violent, armed, or dangerous subjects".

They also said robots could be used to "incapacitate, or disorient violent, armed, or dangerous suspects who pose a risk of loss of life".

This type of lethal robot is already in use in other parts of the US.

In 2016, police in Dallas, Texas, used a robot armed with C-4 explosive to kill a sniper who had killed five officers and injured several more.

COMMENTS

More Related News

The Half Moon Bay Shooting Victims Have Been Identified And The Suspected Shooter Has Been Charged With Murder
The Half Moon Bay Shooting Victims Have Been Identified And The Suspected Shooter Has Been Charged With Murder
  • US
  • 2023-01-26 17:53:18Z

The suspect, 66-year-old Chinese national Chunli Zhao, is being held without bond.View Entire Post ›

After Chesa Boudin, new San Francisco DA cracks down on crime, but anti-cop views stall progress
After Chesa Boudin, new San Francisco DA cracks down on crime, but anti-cop views stall progress
  • US
  • 2023-01-26 07:00:00Z

After a district attorney recall thrusted Brooke Jenkins into power this summer, the new DA has been tougher on crime, a San Francisco activist told Fox News...

Half Moon Bay shooting suspect charged with 7 counts of murder allegedly felt
Half Moon Bay shooting suspect charged with 7 counts of murder allegedly felt 'disrespected'
  • US
  • 2023-01-26 06:01:33Z

Prosecutors on Wednesday filed seven murder charges and one attempted murder charge against the man accused of gunning down farm workers Monday in the quaint...

Judge orders release of body camera video and 911 call from Paul Pelosi attack
Judge orders release of body camera video and 911 call from Paul Pelosi attack
  • US
  • 2023-01-26 05:34:04Z

A coalition of news organizations will gain access Thursday to all courtroom evidence from last year's attack on Paul Pelosi, the husband of Nancy Pelosi.

California Half Moon Bay shooting suspect charged with 7 counts of murder: DA
California Half Moon Bay shooting suspect charged with 7 counts of murder: DA
  • US
  • 2023-01-26 02:57:09Z

The suspect in a deadly mass shooting in Half Moon Bay, California, was charged with seven counts of murder, the local district attorney said.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Business