Yemen loses internet connection after Saudi-led airstrike




  • In US
  • 2022-01-21 01:16:20Z
  • By Associated Press

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) - Yemen lost its connection to the internet nationwide early Friday after Saudi-led airstrikes targeted a site in the contested city of Hodeida, an advocacy group said, plunging the war-torn nation offline.

NetBlocks said the disruption began around 1 a.m. local and affected TeleYemen, the state-owned monopoly that controls internet access in the country. TeleYemen is now run by the Houthi rebels who have held Yemen's capital, Sanaa, since late 2014.

Yemen was "in the midst of a nation-scale internet blackout following airstrike on (a) telecom building," NetBlocks said, without immediately elaborating.

The San Diego-based Center for Applied Internet Data Analysis and San Francisco-based internet firm CloudFlare also noted a nationwide outage affecting Yemen beginning around the same time.

The Houthi's Al-Masirah satellite news channel said the strike on the telecommunications building had killed and wounded people. It released chaotic footage of people digging through rubble for a body as gunshots could be heard. Aid workers assisted bloodied survivors.

The Saudi-led coalition battling the Houthi rebels acknowledged carrying out "accurate airstrikes to destroy the capabilities of the militia" around Hodeida's port. It did not immediately acknowledge striking a telecommunication target as NetBlocks described, but instead called Hodeida a hub for piracy and Iranian arms smuggling to back the Houthis.

The undersea FALCON cable carries internet into Yemen through the Hodeida port along the Red Sea for TeleYemen. The FALCON cable has another landing in Yemen's far eastern port of Ghaydah as well, but the majority of Yemen's population lives in its west along the Red Sea.

A cut to the FALCON cable in 2020 caused by a ship's anchor also caused widespread internet outages in Yemen. Land cables to Saudi Arabia have been cut since the start of Yemen's civil war, while connections to two other undersea cables have yet to be made amid the conflict, TeleYemen previously said.

A Saudi-led coalition entered Yemen's war in 2015 to back its ousted government. The war has turned into the world's worst humanitarian crisis, with international criticism of Saudi airstrikes killing civilians and targeting the country's infrastructure. The Houthis meanwhile have used child soldiers and indiscriminately laid landmines across the country.

The war reached into the United Arab Emirates, a Saudi ally, on Monday when the Houthis claimed a drone and missile attack on Abu Dhabi, killing three and wounding six.

___

Follow Jon Gambrell on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jongambrellAP.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia's wealth fund takes 5% Nintendo stake
  • US
  • 2022-05-18 09:57:15Z

Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) has taken a 5.01% stake in Nintendo Co Ltd as the sovereign wealth fund increases its exposure to the Japanese...

Analysis: Condolence calls from elite show UAE ruler
Analysis: Condolence calls from elite show UAE ruler's power
  • World
  • 2022-05-18 06:07:26Z

Coming from around the globe, airplanes carrying world leaders have landed in the capital of the United Arab Emirates to offer condolences for the death of...

UN envoy: Talks on now to extend Yemen
UN envoy: Talks on now to extend Yemen's 2-month cease-fire
  • World
  • 2022-05-17 23:13:34Z

With just two weeks left in a two-month cease-fire in Yemen, the U.N. envoy to the war-torn country said Tuesday that talks with the government and Houthi...

Jack Nicklaus reveals he turned down two offers in excess of $100m to be face of Saudi rebel tour
Jack Nicklaus reveals he turned down two offers in excess of $100m to be face of Saudi rebel tour

Jack Nicklaus has revealed he twice shunned Saudi offers of more than $100 million to be the face of the rebel circuit, before the Kingdom turned to Greg Norman.

Jack Nicklaus turned down more than $100 million to be face of Saudi Arabia-backed LIV Golf
Jack Nicklaus turned down more than $100 million to be face of Saudi Arabia-backed LIV Golf

"I said, 'Guys, I have to stay with the PGA Tour. I helped start the PGA Tour.'"

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US